Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Oma's Pfaff


I have some exciting news:

 
For those that follow my page on Facebook (Facebook Badge (link) on the sidebar) you will have heard of my new machine, very briefly. 
What you may not know is I traded my old Shark sewing machine for it, not even having seen this machine.
I'm still not sure if it was a good trade as I need to find a voltage converter or plug adaptor to get it to run at all.
But, I'm afraid that if this machine runs, that I may just have ripped my sister off....sigh...
I guess my consolation is she wanted a machine that ran--now. She didn't want to figure out the electrical stuff and get this thing checked out. I do.
Anyway, it is an old Pfaff 262, and it belonged to my Oma (Grandmother) who took it with her when she immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands. Hence the electrical questions...
 
 
But, look at all these stitches:


 
Seriously!
Now to figure out what combo to use for a straight stitch.
 And, in the Dutch instruction books it speaks of the ability to use 3 needles! (Nevermind that I still have to master the double needle...)
Plus it talks about embroidery...

 
It came with this lovely wooden rolling table.
 It needs it--this machine is *HEAVY*.

 
Look at all these attachments and different presser feet.
If I can get this thing going, I'll have so much fun trying to figure out what is for what!
And, how to use all the functions.

 
And, the back of this beauty:

 
My husband shook his head and said I was like a person who gets old cars...only this is an old sewing machine. I only have one now, and it is my intent to keep it at one extra sewing machine.

 
But, yes, if I can get this thing going, I think I made a steal of a deal.
Either way, I'm excited.
Any info on figuring out the electrical would be appreciated--like can you just get a new (US/Canadian) cord put on or do you actually need to get a voltage converter/plug-in adapter so that it uses the European amount of voltage (220V I believe) but can plug into a standard outlet in Canada(120/110V)? And, how many watts does a sewing machine generally use?
I have looked at Canadian Tire for something to 'fix' things but they had one where you could only plug in a US/Canadian plug and convert it to a host of others and then a plug adapter which could only do a 25W appliance and which didn't convert voltage, which I think may be a problem...I definitely do not want to fry this machine before I even get a chance to try it out!
Ah, the questions...
Have a great week!



7 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful machine!! I've heard that the older pfaffs are fabulous!
    No help for the electrical stuff - I hope someone can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right - it could be a great machine! If you have the money I would say get it serviced by a proffessional. It would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice machine! I have a very old singer from my great grandmother, and even though it doesn't work as well as it used to, it looks cool! I know Central Sewing Machines might be able to help you with getting it working. I took the old singer in, and they got basic stich (better then nothing!) going for me. (free of charge)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks awesome! Definitely get something to convert it to 220V, I have the opposite situation that my machine is from America but I am using it in Greece, I have a heavy duty converter now, the cheap version from before blew up. We got this newer one from a lighting store, perhaps they will have something for you in a store there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've been reading your blog the last couple days, and I'm wondering how you get all your sewing done with everything else you. Raising 4 kids, housework, homeschooling ect. What' s your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,
    My secret....I have no secret, other than sewing in the evening, when all the kids are in bed and the house is relatively tidy. That is when I sew :) And, once in awhile, on nice sunny days, when the kids are romping around the farmyard, I get some sewing done during the day (if I'm not busy getting housework done :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have my Oma's Pfaff which came with them by ship from Holland to Canada! I haven't used it yet, and I hadn't thought of electrical issues. I'm glad I didn't just go for it. Mine also weighs a ton, but it's a good thing it does, it's one of a handful of posessions that wasn't stolen from their crate on the boat. I'm looking forward to getting it up and running once we have a bigger apartment. Oma used to sew jeans on it and my modern Brother machine isn't that gutsy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!